Printfriendly

RSS

How to Become a Doula

I am always looking for a new hustle, but it has to be something that I would truly enjoy doing. I have to feel that it is a purposeful activity and what is more purposeful than helping someone? So I am considering becoming a postpartum doula. I remember how much help I needed after my son was born and I was so blessed to have my mother, but what about people who don't? That is where a postpartum doula comes in. It seems like a wonderful summer job!

I am also considering being a birth doula. I was blessed enough to have my sister and a great friend helping me through my son's birth, but again, what about those who are not as fortunate?

There are certificate programs for both birth doulas and postpartum doulas. I have chosen to review the DONA International Program, but CAPPA (Childbirth and Postpartum Professional Association) also has a program which has additional certification and training options. (While I don't think you need any certification, the training could prove beneficial in the long run.)

Postpartum Doula Reading List
The Birth Book: Sears
Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn: Simkin
The Year After Childbirth: Kitzinger
Breastfeeding Made Simple: Mohrbacher & Kendall-Tackett
Multiple Blessings: Rothbart
Additional: The Birth Partner: Simkin

Birth Doula Reading List
The Doula Book: Klaus, Kennell & Klaus
Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn: Simkin
Breastfeeding Made Simple: Mohrbacher & Kendall-Tackett
The Birth Partner: Simkin
An Easier Childbirth: Peterson

Read some of the books online for free. I was unable to find any of the books on breastfeeding, postpartum, or being a doula. So you will have to check your local library or buy them. But the rest are here free and legal!

I plan to begin by starting with my local doula charity, Doulas Care. They pay a portion of your class costs in exchange for your volunteer services. To me that is no different than an unpaid internship. It is good experience when you may have trouble getting work because of inexperience.

Here are some more resources:
Great Info on the Business Aspects
Getting Insurance to Pay for Doula Services
Doulas Covered Under Medicaid
NPI Number, Billing Medicaid and Insurance
42 Volunteer Doula Programs in 15 States
Here is one Doula's services and fees.


  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment