Printfriendly

RSS

Teaching my Baby to Count

Now, my son can rote count to ten just because he took an interest in counting and used to want to count till I couldn't handle it anymore. So needless to say he is 1 to 10 ready. Now, we need to work on one-to-one correspondence and matching the symbol with the quantity. So here are my plans:

FIRST, SHORE UP THE ROTE
We will continue counting everyday.
We will continue dance parties to Greg and Steve.

NEXT, ONE-TO-ONE CORRESPONDENCE
I will have him put plastic Easter eggs into an egg carton. (That one is all over the Internet.)
I will continue modeling one to one correspondence as we count.
Giving him papers with places marked for counters and having him put the counters on the spots and only on the spots.
Have him pass out things like forks and plates to people.

THEN, INTRODUCING THE SYMBOL
I am thinking something similar to touch math. I will provide numbers with dots and let him put counters of some sort on the dots. This can also help with one to one correspondence.
I am also thinking about something similar to the Montessori object boxes and using sandpaper numbers.



I will likely do something similar to this with sandpaper numbers and even letters, putting them into containers with the appropriate number of markers.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment