Printfriendly

RSS

DIY Montessori Movable Alphabet (The Look For Less!)

Now, I have seen all sorts of tutorials on making a paper movable alphabet and if you are on an ultra tight budget, these will serve the purpose, but I wanted a set of wooden letters. So I went to Hobby Lobby last weekend and bought some small wooden letters: Plaid Dancing Wooden Letter Pack and Plaid Poster Wooden Letter Pack. I am painting the front side of them (to reduce the flipping of letters) blue and red just like real Montessori movable alphabets. I bought two packs of each set, but three would be ideal. I also bought 2 craft organizers from Walmart.

Total cost for capital and lower case movable alphabet:
6x $4 for each set of wooden letters
2x $7 for each craft case
$38+paint

A decent movable alphabet will cost this much for just the lowercase letters!

As far as paint, I haven't had the chance to look into that, but I don't need much because I will be only painting one side of these small letters.  (I am concerned with him being confused about which way the letters go.  We don't need any of this.) I am considering getting a sample of a paint (starting in the oops section of my hardware stores); if that fails, spray paint is awesome, too!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment